Featured Post

What Makes a Handful?

"You sure have your hands full!" said the older woman in Target, watching me try to corral four independent-thinking and adventur...

Tuesday, September 16, 2008

The Midnight Marathon

It's 3:00am. And yes, I know where my children are.

One is right here next to me. She's practicing her typing at the moment.

So far this evening, we have been out for sushi, visited friends, watched a video, talked on the phone to one friend across town (and her dog, sort of),

made cupcakes,

talked to another friend in Alaska who had just finished her dinner,

played with some fabric dolls made just for this occasion by another family of friends (and made a few other craft things from the box of fabric and supplies they also passed on),

and taken a midnight walk through the neighborhood.

We have 4 1/2 more hours to go before we have to report at the doctor's office for Jane's EEG. But we're halfway through the night, so all is going well.

Still on the agenda: at the very least we'll play a few games at AmericanGirl.com, take a bubble bath, and make breakfast for the two of us and Dad (who is sound asleep at the moment). If necessary, we will play glow-in-the-dark catch outside as well.

Jane has been so easy--no meltdowns yet, though about an hour ago she did announce that she wanted to go to bed. I was just sure we'd have had some tears by now, but she is managing everything quite well. I couldn't be more proud of her.


Laura Bloemsma said...

I'm so impressed. We have prayed for you both many times. Please post how the test day went. Did she sleep well and were they able to see what they wanted to see?

--Rebecca said...

Thank you for your prayers!

Jane made it through the night with a great attitude. I'm so proud of her.

She did sleep well, almost instantly upon getting there.
Both the EEG and the MRI results were normal. We're so thankful!

The tentative diagnosis is childhood migraines. The neurologist still wants to do a complete metabolic panel on her the next time she has a headache, just to be sure there's no endocrine or nutrient processing issue. But that's the last step.

When we got home from the EEG, we both went straight to bed. I slept about 2 1/2 hours and Jane slept about 4 hours. She's back on track now. I'm still feeling a little sleep deprived, but managing.

So thankful, though, for the option to sleep in peace. (Psalm 4:8)

Emma said...

I am so supprised that a girl of seven could stay up all night with out falling asleep once!